Friday 27 December 2013

Beauty Queens Book Review

Title: Beauty Queens
Author: Libba Bray
# of Pages: 396
Series #: Stand Alone Novel
Reading Span: July 20th - 25th
Rating: ****/

Beauty Queens is a great book, nothing short of amazing. Bray has an incredible way of writing a book that is hilarious, but also covers issues like feminism and racism. There are only a couple of complaints that I have for this book, the first being confusion. I often couldn't remember who "Miss Ohio" was, or any of the other Misses. Although I understand it's significance to the story, I would have much preferred names like Taylor, Adina, or Petra that were only used 30-40% of the time.

Another thing that I didn't like was how late the pirates mentioned on the back of the book came. I was already two thirds through the book when I finally met them. I was a bit disappointed that the back of the book spoiled that aspect for me.

Despite that, Bray has created a great story that I would highly recommend for all readers mature enough to handle it (steamy scenes, et-cetera). You will instantly fall for all of the characters and everything they stand for, even the ones that may not particularity like at the beginning.

The setting is super cool as well – a deserted island! Or so it would seem... 4.5/5 stars. Get your hands on it now!

Photo creds to http://libbabray.com/books/title/beauty-queens. Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment