Wednesday 2 October 2013

Whale Story Excerpt

While I was on Vancouver Island with school, I got the chance to read The Sea Devil (click here to see that post) as well as an excerpt of Whale Story. This post is going to be all about my thoughts on the first 2 chapters of the book!

First of all, I would like to make an inference of what will happen in the next chapter. I have a couple of ideas.

  • The girl from the story that Sarah's dad told her will be "the voice" and she will persuade Sarah to go to the island to find her brother
  • Somebody has got to be a whale – the brother? The sister? Sarah? I mean, it's called Whale Story after all...
  • The girl/the voice will become besties in Bamfield
At first I thought of the protagonists as a young, immature, and hard-to-relate-to character. Sure, she is quite a few years younger than me, but I found myself growing attached to her – even within the two chapters that I read. That is called accomplishment on the author's part.

It is kind of hard to tell exactly what the author was trying to get at – as far as theme goes – since it was only a few pages long. But nonetheless, here's what I gathered. I think that the theme was the ocean and experiencing new things. I think this because Sarah is experiencing a whole bunch of new things (new house, new "information"). I also think that the author was trying to tell the readers that change is OK, and that is just a reality that you have to deal with.

As I said, I read this on the coast. It was really cool to read it with that perspective. I could actually relate to the setting because I had experienced the same things myself (or at least, understood). The carsickness that Sarah's mom, Dani, got on the logging road, and the dust that exploded from beneath the tired. I also saw the ocean on the way, and I was amazed by it just like Sarah was.

I'm not completely sure if I will continue this or not. The cliffhanger was so intense, but I feel like there are other books out there that I'd rather read. I'll read it eventually. I defiantly think that you should read the excerpt and see what you think! Comment below if you have. And happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment