Thursday 2 May 2013

April Wrap-Up

Hello everyone! Today I am here with my April Wrap-Up. In April I read 10 books and 1 novella, however two of those books are super short, but goodreads counts them so I'll go with it.

The first book that I read/finished in April was Mind Games by Keirsten White and I was a bit disappointed. This book was my most anticipated new-release of this year, and... it wasn't as good as I had expected. I shouldn't have been too surprised because of the reviews that I had read prior to picking this book up, but none-the-less, I was. 3 out of 5 stars. Still good, but not amazing.

The second book that I read in April was Altered by Jennifer Rush and oh my goodness. This book. This book is absolutely amazing, and I couldn't put it down. It was so addicting that I finsihed it at 2:00 in the morning. The characters were amazing, and the plot... It was just. So. Good. 5 out of 5 stars. Read it now!

The third book that I read in April was Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce and this was, again, a disappointment. Danika over at Books to Dream raved about this book, but I didn't think it was worth as much as she gave it. Again, I shouldn't have been that surprised as many people only gave it an okay review, but... Yeah. 4 out of 5 stars. Still worth the read, just not the best book ever.

The fourth book that I read in April was A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. I have no words. The ending left me literally shaking. The plot twists were totally unexpected and overall, a super awesome read. I only gave it a 4.5 though, just because of the slow beginning. The rest of it, though, was superb! I defiantly recommend it.

The fifth book was really short, as it was the first book in the Spiderwick Chronicles Series, The Field Guide by Tony DeTerlizzi and Holly Black. I gave this book a 3 out of 5 stars, but I was expecting more. I saw jessethereader and astridthebookworm talk about these and they gave it 5 stars. For me though, the plot just wasn't there so I just couldn't give it a higher rating.

The sixth book that I read actually put me in a reading slump (which you would't be able to tell I was in from the amount of books I read but still...). This book was Eve by Anna Carey. I do not understand the hype that surrounds this book at all. It was dull and not enjoyable and ugh... 2 out of 5 stars. The only people that I would re

commend this book to is people who love cheesy romance. And I mean love.

The seventh book that I read was Pivot Point by Kasie West which is also a 2013 new release. I also really loved this book. I loved debating what team I was on throughout the story, the plot twist was crazy, and the characters and just... everything was amazing! I recommend it to everyone! 5 out of 5 stars.

The eighth book that I read was the second book in the Spiderwick Chronicles by the same authors. It's called The Seeing Stone. This book was much more enjoyable than the first. The story actually went somewhere, and it was actually a really nice read. 4 out of 5 stars.

The ninth book that I read was Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. This book was the 2012 debut on my April TBR. It was fairly enjoyable, but not amazing. I gave it 4 stars. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, and it didn't blow me away.

Next I read a novella by Veronica Roth... Yes, you guessed it. Free Four. I didn't give this "book" a rating because it was only 13 pages, and I didn't think that was enough content to judge upon. That being said, I still really enjoyed it. It was really cool to hear part of the story from Four's point of view, and I think that the scene that Veronica Roth chose was very powerful. If you have read Divergent (which you should if you haven't) then I would defiantly give this a go.

The final/tenth/eleventh book that I read in April was The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Long. This was also on my TBR from April. I am unsure of what to tell you about this book. It was a bit confusing in parts and the main character wasn't very strong. To top it off, the plot didn't really go anywhere either. The plot twist, on the other hand, was well done, and the ending pulled this book up from what I thought was going to be a 2 star to a 3. I recommend that you read this book, even though that I didn't think it was that good just because it isn't too incredibly long, plus it's a stand-alone so it doesn't take too much investment. You never know, maybe you will just be blown away!

I am currently reading 3 books, the first one for school: The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. I'm scheduled to finish this on Monday, so hopefully that will happen. I am also team-reading Rebel Angels by Libba Bray (The sequel to A Great and Terrible Beauty) with Danika @ Books to Dream (link in side-bar), and the last book on my TBR, Slide by Jill Hathaway. I am 142 pages in and liking it, and expecting to finish it soon.

Be sure to look out for reviews for the TBR books for sure, as well as the first 4 books I read in April. Also, if you would like me to review one of the books that I haven't said I would, leave a comment below and I would be happy to do that for you. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment